January 28

Smoothie Sensation

Mrs. MacRae came in on Thursday and talked with us about fruits. We learned lots about the different nutrients in these foods. Students learned that bananas help our hearts stay healthy with all of their potassium. Oranges give us Vitamin C, which gives us healing power. We learned that some fruits like apples have a protective skin that can be eaten to provide our bodies with a good source of fiber. Fiber helps to rid our bodies of toxins. So, what happens when we blend these fruits together?

Voila! It’s not quite summer yet, but Thursday Mrs. MacRae taught us how to create the Summer Breeze Smoothie. I didn’t ask her, but perhaps it’s derived from Seals and Crofts. It was a huge success. Kids gulped these little concoctions down in a hurry.

As you can see it was impossible to contain our excitement.

Good, down to the last drop. Below I’ve included the recipe. Enjoy.

Posted January 28, 2012 by magillbr in category Nutrition

31 thoughts on “Smoothie Sensation

1. reilli

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I really liked the smoothie, I thought it was really good. Me and my dad are going to get the stuff and we might make the smoothie. We got a juicer at the store and I helped my dad make homemade orange Juice. It was really good.
    Reilli

2. Jordan

Dear Mrs. MacRae
    The smoothies were so good. My mom made me some over the weekend. It was really good!!!!!

3. mohamed

Dear Mr. Magill,
    The smoothie is great, I like it. I have a question do you have to put frozen strawberries or you can just put regular strawberries? 🙂

Mohamed

4. Elena

Dear Mr. Magill,
    The smoothies were really good I learned a lot from Mrs. MacRae about fruits. My famliy and I made the smoothie. They thought the smoothie was really good.
    Elena

5. Pingback: Snacks from Mrs. MacRae : Portable 33 Team Blog

6. Mrs. MacRae

Hello 5th Graders!

I made a blackberry and raspberry smoothie last week. It was delicious!

Has anyone tried to make a smoothie with different types of fruit or fruit juice? What did you use? How did it taste?

-Mrs. MacRae

7. magillbr (Post author)

That’s great. Mrs. MacRae wanted to know if anyone made it. She’ll be very excited to hear you did it.

8. magillbr (Post author)

You can put regular strawberries in too. The frozen strawberries just make it a little colder.

9. rj

Hey Mr. Magill. The smoothies are really good. I’m going to make my family test them.

RJ

10. reilli

Dear Mrs. MacRae,
    Ever since we made the smoothies, I have been helping my dad make all kinds of smoothies. We made strawberry, banana smoothie and we tried something new too. We made a strawberry, banana and kiwi smoothie and it was really good.

Reilli

11. Makenna

Dear Mrs. MacRae,
    I did switch the fruits. I made a cherry, apple smoothie. I didn’t like it until I added a hint of strawberry and (2 teaspoons of) sugar. You should try it!

Makenna

12. Zahraa

Dear Mrs. MacRae

Your Smoothies were really good. I hope you bring in something even better!

Hannah:)

13. kaitlin

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I think the smoothies were delicious.
    I made a smoothie at home.
    I put in grape’s, raspberry yogurt, a little milk and strawberry‘s .
    You should try it.

From
    Kaitlin

14. Cendy

Dear Mrs. MacRae,
    Your smoothies were better than my smoothies at home. I put frozen blueberries in the blender and I broke the blender. My mom was mad when she found out about it. Me And my mom went to Walmart to buy another blender. This time we did it together.
    Sincerely, Cendy

15. trevor

Mr.Magill,
    I really like learning about nutrition! I can’t wait until the Apple Cup!

Trevor

16. Tyani

Dear Mrs. MacRae

The smoothies were vary delicious.
    I made a smoothie at home. It had strawberries and low fat milk
    And blueberries and vanilla yogurt. it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

From,
    Tyani

17. gabe35

Dear Mrs. MacRae
    I really enjoyed the smoothies. They were delicious. I wanted to make some at my house but I don’t have fruits at home.
    Gabe

18. jordan35

Mrs. MacRae,
    I made some over the weekend, but it didn’t taste like it did last time I made them. I put everything you did in it. Do you know what could have happened?
    Jordan

19. alex35

Mr. Magill,
    The smoothies were really good. When I got home I made a blueberry and banana and strawberry smoothie. It was so good, but I really think Mrs. MacRae’s recipe is the best. Thank you Mrs. MacRae. I hope we do something like this again. Sincerely, Alex

20. magillbr (Post author)

Jonathan,
    You can. I posted the recipe. You could follow it this weekend and tell me how it goes. Good luck!

21. mohamed35

Mohamed

Dear Mr. Magill
    Are we going to make foods like the smoothie, or the cool trail mix? Are we going to have only 3 more nutrition classes until the end of the year?
    Mohamed 😀

22. magillbr (Post author)

Mohamed,
    Yes. We don’t have much more time for Nutrition. Actually, we only have 1 more class. Mrs. MacRae has done a wonderful job with you guys this year. Our last class is on the 30th I believe. It will be the Apple Cup Challenge.
    Mr. Magill

23. magillbr (Post author)

Hailey,
    You need to ask Ms. Julie this question. I would think there’s a good chance we will do it.
    Mr. Magill