April 2

Fish Club

In March students started Fish Club. It’s a club that involves students managing a system and learning more about Environments. This particular environment is a freshwater aquatic environment. The class is learning to manage the different variables of this complicated system in order to keep our fish alive. Our aquarium is an 80 gallon rectangular prism.

Golden Mystery Snail

In the last week we’ve hit a couple of obstacles that may prevent us from keeping our fish healthy. The Fish Club team noticed our nitrate and ammonia levels were rising. Also, Fish Club has spotted at least 2 fish with Ich. So, we’ve had to do some research. What are nitrates? How do they form? How do we get rid of them? What’s Ich? How do we get rid of it? To help our class connect the dots I’ve created some links with some information that should help us understand the answers to these questions better.

Nitrogen Cycle (Note: The graphic on this page helps us understand the Nitrogen Cycle in a simple way from the fish’s perspective.)

Ich-Ichthyophthirius multifiliis

We’ve started to test the water weekly to manage the aquarium system and basically keep an eye on things. Our general observation is that our water quality has varied quite a bit. For instance, the nitrates have been between 40-80 ppm. We have decided to run an experiment in an attempt to improve it. I’ve presented a question to the class…What might stabilize our aquarium water quality? Some of the students had the idea of changing the water? I asked, “How often?” We discussed it further and decided that we will change the water 2 times each week and conduct a 20% water change each time. This might help us keep the toxins built up in the aquarium out. Our experiment will be a controlled experiment. In other words, the only change that will be made to the system will be a water change. The class will follow a specific procedure. We will try and build it on Monday when everyone returns from break. Hopefully our fish will be alive when we return. If you think you know how the toxins were able to find there way into our tank, I’d love to hear from you. Why have the ammonia and nitrate levels increased?

Posted April 2, 2012 by magillbr in category Environments, Fish Club

33 thoughts on “Fish Club

1. jordan35

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I didn’t really think fish club was that fun. I just didn’t really enjoy it that much.

Jordan

2. kaitlin

Dear mr . magill
    I have not been on fish club yet.
    But a lot of people on fish club says it’s
    Really fun. I can’t wait to go on fish club.

Kaitlin

3. jordan35

Mr. Magill,
    I don’t really know a solution to stop Ich but I had a fish that got Ich and died. When I saw the ich I didn’t know is was ich so I said what is that white stuff on my fish is. Know I know it was.
    Jordan

4. saya35

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I think to stop Ich you need to change the water every three days, we need to watch the fish tank more often. That’s how I think we should do to prevent Ich.
    – Saya

5. jonathan

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I think it’s good that you’re changing the water twice a week because I just read about the nitrogen cycle. The fish can get very sick or even die from nitrites and nitrates. By changing the water the nitrates and nitrites might get flushed out.
    Jonathan

6. brian35

Mr. Magill,
    I have a plan so we can get Ich out of the tank. You could change the water every Monday so the fish tank will be healthy and clean.
    Brian

7. magillbr (Post author)

Brian,
    How does changing the water help get rid of Ich. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks.
    Mr. Magill

8. Tyani

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I have a few suggestions for fish club on how to eliminate Ich.

1. Do more than one test for ich nitrate nitrite etc.

2. Clean the tank more.

3. Renew fish club

From,
    Tyani

9. jacob

I am still trying to think of a cure for Ich that we haven’t tried, but I still think that it is a good idea to change the water. I now the fish don’t need to die.

10. gabe35

Dear Mr. Magill
    I think changing the water helps the fish because some of the water has Ich, and if we change that water it would get rid of some of the Ich.
    Gabe

11. magillbr (Post author)

Tyani
    Good suggestions. I don’t think we need to renew Fish Club. It never stopped. However, we could be more consistent. Thanks for the feedback.
    Mr. Magill

12. saya35

Dear. Mr. Magill
    I think there’s a new Mystery Snail and they’re babies. I wonder what will happen to them. Will they survive?
    – Saya 🙂

13. gabe35

Dear Mr. Magill,
    Yesterday I saw some black tailed platies picking at a golden mystery snail. From what I saw I think they were trying to eat it because they weren’t fed that morning.
    Gabe

14. magillbr (Post author)

Jose,
    I don’t think that I’ll be getting new fish for the tank for a little while. There are too many babies that need room to grow. The rule of thumb is that you should have 1 gallon for every 1-2 inches of fish. So, how many fish could we have in an 80 gallon tank?
    Mr. Magill

15. mohamed35

Dear Mr. Magill
    If the fish have Ich, and they have babies, do the babies get Ich too?
    And if the fish have any disease, do the babies get that disease?
    Mohamed

16. jose35

Dear Mr. Magill
    I had lots of fun doing fish club is there a chance I can do fish club again?
    Jose

17. gabe35

Dear Mr. Magill,
    For some reason the golden mystery and the pond snail go to the top of the fish tank and then glide down.
    Gabe

18. magillbr (Post author)

Jose,
    We’ll try and put in some more Fish Club time. Other things have become a priority, but we’ll return to it soon.
    Mr. Magill

19. magillbr (Post author)

Mohamed,
    I’m not sure if the baby fish will get Ich. I don’t think so because Ich attaches itself to the outside of the Mother’s body. Eventually it falls off and kind of leaves a sore. Later the babies could get Ich if the organism is still in the fish tank. Most fish get Ich, but their immune system fights it off. Also, I’m not sure about your second question you had. I would think that some fish might give their babies some diseases. Humans and other organisms do, so I would assume they can as well. It sounds like you may want to do some more research. Let me know if you find something.
    Mr. Magill

20. magillbr (Post author)

Micah,
    I’m not sure what type of fish would eat Ich. That’s a great idea if such fish exist.
    Mr. Magill

21. magillbr (Post author)

Endless,

No. These large snails don’t seem to live very long. Should I get another?

Mr. Magill

22. magillbr (Post author)

Endless,
    The Mystery Snail has passed away. So sad. I think you’re right. We need a new one. They’re very interesting to observe. Check in on our tank to see if one mysteriously appears one morning.
    Mr. Magill

23. magillbr (Post author)

Jolie,
    I was thinking the same thing. We will start the club next trimester.
    Mr. Magill

24. magillbr (Post author)

Endless,
    We started the 3rd trimester last week. The year goes by so fast.
    Mr. Magill