December 6

Who needs chairs?

When we think about the different environments for classrooms, there are several different options. In the last couple of years I’ve looked at Portable 35’s layout and tried to make it a more open space. A place where you immediately come in the room and feel interested and curious. I want students to feel less confined to 1 place.

20121206-100608.jpg

20121206-100643.jpg

My theory is that by making the space more open it will be a less stressful space.  Lower stress might help us to learn better. I know I would be stressed, annoyed and possibly angry if I was elbow to elbow with other students in class.

20121206-100707.jpg

20121206-100717.jpg

After looking at the pictures, can you think of other ideas that would improve the current design to improve learning?

Here’s an example of what one teacher did in another 5th Grade Class at Wea Ridge.  Click on the link, or words that are colored to go to the story.

Posted December 6, 2012 by magillbr in category Uncategorized

23 thoughts on “Who needs chairs?

1. magillbr (Post author)

Hithem,
    How do you know your back hurts because your chair is small? What could we do to study this problem before looking for a solution? Any ideas. Thanks.
    Mr. Magill

2. Alyisha

Mr. Magill,
    I agree with Hithem my back and my neck hurts I think we should get the exercise chairs I bet it will make our learning fun.
    From: Alyisha

3. Raven

Mr.Magill

I think that each student should get there own spot in the room like a boy cave and a girl cave.

Raven:)

4. magillbr (Post author)

Sounds interesting. We’d have a lot of caves in the room. I wonder if that’s even possible.

5. magillbr (Post author)

Taven,
    Yes. I can see that it could present a problem for kids trying to see over it. What do you think about the idea of lowering it?
    Mr. Magill

6. magillbr (Post author)

Hey Brian,
    I think this is a definite possibility. I’ll talk to Mr. Hitchner about it.
    Mr. Magill

7. Jesenia

Dear Mr. Magill,
    When the substitute was here she moved the purple group to the area where we sit for reading, team meetings, ect. Ect. I sat at that table for those four days, and I think it’s easier and more comfortable than to just have everybody sit on the carpet.
    From, Jesenia

8. magillbr (Post author)

Endless,
    We’ll have to get through the Variables Unit first. However, place the idea on our classrooom Parking Lot, so that I don’t forget about it. Thanks.
    Mr. Magill

9. magillbr (Post author)

Jesenia,
    I think this is a good idea. I’ll definitely consider it. I wonder if it would cause any problems. More importantly, what problem does it solve? Can you tell me? Thanks.
    Mr. Magill

10. magillbr (Post author)

Jesenia,
    This is an interesting idea. What problem does this solve for you and the class?
    Thanks.
    Mr. Magill

11. Jesenia

Dear Mr. Magill,
    I think that moving the purple group would solve some problems, but also cause some. One of the problems it would cause is that if we need to do math, where would you right the problems down? But one it would solve is that the students at the purple group would see the projector screen/white board easier.
    Jesenia

12. magillbr (Post author)

Jesenia,
    Is it hard to use the monitor on my desk to view the projector work?
    Mr. Magill

13. magillbr (Post author)

Brian
    I think it’s worth considering. Why would you want to get exercise balls?
    Mr. Magill

14. magillbr (Post author)

Ruth,
    Why would we need the bouncy balls instead of the chairs?
    Mr. Magill