August 20

Welcome Back!

Usually, I try and shut my mind off from school for the first few weeks of Summer Vacation. I was pretty successful. I think I kept thoughts of adding unlike fractions, writing book reviews and reading about environments out of my head for most of our break. In order to do this, I went on some outing with my family. One thing we did was to visit Yellowstone National Park.  Wow! There was too much to see.

Ella and Riley look for grizzly bears.

Ella and Riley look for grizzly bears.

So, here we are, 2 weeks away from the beginning a new school year. School has started to creep back into my brain; and, I’ve started preparing things for this year.  For instance, I changed my desk a bit and made a huge “To Do” list.

The Desk Star. My students called it the Desk Star because it was as large as the Death Star in Star Wars.

I chopped the desk to make it a low rider.

I brought in a worker that's great at making messes.

I brought in a worker that’s great at making messes.

The finished product.

The finished product.

Are you ready? Trust me, you’re more than ready. If you’re feeling uneasy about it, there are a number of things you can do to lower your stress and fear for the upcoming year. First, remember I don’t bite. In fact, I’m pretty normal. Second, grab a supply list to help you get things sorted out for the upcoming year. If you have the supplies your teachers are requesting when you come to school, it always feels good when you get to class, but don’t worry if you can’t find something. Every school year we make sure kids have any items they’re missing. Third, start getting yourself into a regular sleep pattern. The long days of summer are quickly changing. By getting yourself into a regular school week schedule for bedtime and wake ups, you’ll help your body and mind adjust for the school day. Sleep is probably the most important thing that will help you to be successful in our classroom. When you don’t have enough of it, all kinds of problems happen. Fourth, eat and drink right. If you’re not sure what that means, we’ll learn about it this school year with our nutrition teacher. In the mean time, eat whole foods like an apple, eggs, carrots, etcetera and drink lots of water. Last, get outside to exercise. The summer is a super time to improve your fitness. Also, by exercising you’re improving your brain function.  The brain needs oxygen to work well.  Exercise helps us to use the air we breath to think better, even when we’re not exercising.  Basically, if you’re fit, you learn better.

Don’t forget that we’ll have a simple classroom walk through, as well as a meet-and-greet at Challenger Elementary on September 2nd. It takes place from 5-6 pm. This will be a chance for us to begin to get to know each other.  The countdown has begun. See you soon!

Posted August 20, 2014 by magillbr in category Welcome!